You might not see it now but it will become visible as you venture deeper into life..

You might not see it now but it will become visible as you venture deeper into life..

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

AN IMAGINARY SCENE

AN IMAGINARY SCENE FOR RATTINGAN'S ADVENTURE STORY.
Written on January 10, 1989. An assignment for Mr. Malachi Edwin for MT047 class.

( Roxana enters and stands impassively before Alexander. After introducing Roxana to Alexander, Ptolemy leaves them to discuss on their own. Alexander who is sitting on the throne, holds out his hand. Roxana moves to the divan near the throne and sits down, with eyes lowered.)

Alexander : How do find my place?
Roxana : Most comfortable, thank you.
Alexander : Roxana, my officer and I had a talk just now and we had discussed your fate.
Roxana : (raises her head) My fate? What do you mean ? I do not understand.
Alexandre : (smiling) My officer, Ptolemy suggested that I should marry you and ...
Roxana : (cutting short his words) And betray my promise to marry the King of India and be a traitor to the Bactrian nations ? Is that what you are saying ? I can decide on my own future if you must know.
Alexander : (rising) Roxana, just let's not make things worse. Just agree to the suggestion and no harm will be done.
Roxana : Why should I marry the one I do not love ? This isn't marriage for me!
Alexander : (warningly) Are you aware of what is going to happen to you if you refuse the offer ? I will throw your head to your father as a gift !
Roxana : (bravely) It's better than living with a mad man!
Alexander : (angrily) Yes, I will indeed fulfill your wish. You can refuse my offer to become the Queen of Macedonia if that is what your bold heart desires. And, I will not have you killed my dear. But, there will be no more future for you as I will fight your father and the King of India! My heart assures me that I will win the battles and they will die ! I will make you suffer Roxana, mark my words!
Roxana : (fearfully) You could not mean what you say..
Alexander : (placidly) Alexander of Macedon will never betray his words!
Roxana : (miserably) You have taken all hopes from me Alexander. By words, I will have to marry you and lead a miserable life as your wife. But you Alexander, will have all the opportunities to pacify Bactria easily then, and have my father kneel down at your feet! His son -in-law's disgusting feet! Oh father...forgive me.
Alexander : (chuckling) I do not leave you with any choice, do I?
Roxana : (tearfully) No - no, I won't let you do it!

(Roxana rises from the divan and runs to a table at the corner of the room. There is a dagger on the table. She grabs it and faces Alexander).

Roxana : (warningly) If you think that you can take me so easily, you are wrong Alexander. I'd rather die than lose my dignity.
Alexander : (moving closer) Now- Roxana...
Roxana : (warningly) Don't come any nearer! I will put this knife in my chest if you get any closer!

(Before she can finish her words, Alexander rushes to her , grabs the dagger and throws it onto the floor. Roxana lets out a cry and falls to her knees.)

Alexander : (whispering into her ears) That was a nice try Roxana. You must never try it again..
Roxana : (between sobs) You would never let me choose my own fate, wouldn't  you? Not even a weak princess like me.
Alexander : (boldly) I am invincible Roxana!!
(pauses) Come,  (holding out his hand) let's start a new life.
Roxana : (raises her head) Yes, a whole new life with an invincible man.
(and she takes his hand)