You might not see it now but it will become visible as you venture deeper into life..

You might not see it now but it will become visible as you venture deeper into life..

Saturday, June 9, 2012

GRANDPA

That Sunday, Dad decided to take us all including Grandpa out shopping. Since a sale was on, the mall was crowded with people going in and out. However, it did not seem to bother Dad who headed straight for the electrical gadget section ! As for  Mom, well, she chose to go to the ladies’ clothes department and left me alone with Grandpa. It seemed like everyone was really in high spirits to do some shopping that day ! I carefully held Grandpa’s hand and led him to the book section as that was the only place that would keep him calm while waiting for everyone to complete their shopping spree! After making sure that he would be alright, I quickly made my way to the accessories outlet.
I was admiring a beautiful brooch on display when I felt a pat on my shoulder. It was Grandpa. He looked tired and said that he would be happy if he could rest somewhere. Luckily, there was a bench nearby and Grandpa looked relieved as we made our way to it.  As  I really needed to buy a few things, I did not stay with Grandpa but  I kept my eyes on him from far.
After getting all that I needed, I walked quickly to where Grandpa was. That was when  I heard a very loud scream. I turned around just in time to see a man snatching a woman's handbag. The woman, too shocked to run after the man, was only able to scream frantically for help! Grandpa who was resting on the bench saw the snatch thief running towards him. Without a second thought, Grandpa pushed out his walking stick and the thief ran straight into it. He tripped and fell face down onto the floor. A few other shoppers who saw the incident  quickly pounced on him and pinned him down. Later, like in any movies about thefts and robberies, the police arrived and took the thief  away.
Tears of gratitude filled the woman's eyes as she repeatedly thanked Grandpa. She even offered him some money to show how grateful she was. Grandpa refused to accept the money  but he looked hard at the woman.  It seemed like she reminded him of someone. I noticed this and quickly made an excuse for Grandpa. The woman thanked Grandpa again and left. 
Grandpa was strangely   quiet all the way home even though everyone was praising him for his heroic act. That night before going to sleep, I saw Grandpa staring into the night. I was curious, so I asked him about the woman and why was Grandpa so quiet all the way home. However, Grandpa just smiled and said, " It's a long story. A story about a man, a woman and a broken heart." I understood and asked no more.
(p.s.  Just a story, nothing personal ya... )