You might not see it now but it will become visible as you venture deeper into life..

You might not see it now but it will become visible as you venture deeper into life..

Friday, June 29, 2012

MIND MODULE


The results were out and the principal was not happy. The matter was brought up in the following meeting. I was all ready for it and as expected, she pointed the finger at me. Imagine the humiliation she put me through when she ordered me to seek help from other teachers.  I must admit that she had  succeeded in making me appear  foolish in front of all my colleagues. Throughout the  meeting that seemed like forever, I saw myself as nothing more than a loser.  A Colossal  Failure.
Even though she put me to shame that day, I was not at all defeated. Instead,  I was determined to gain back my dignity. “ It is not the end of the world,” I told myself, “This is just the beginning.”  What did I do next ? Well, I did not consult nor seek advice from anyone but came up with my very own strategy. It was called the “ Mind Module ”.
 “ Mind Module ” was a learning module prepared by the students themselves. Materials for the module were obtained from “ Minda Pelajar ”, a weekly pull out in the New Straits Times issued every Tuesday for lower secondary students that  year .  The English section covered every language aspects as well as the literature components for Form 1, 2 and 3. What the students did was just  to cut and paste every single item in one special book which had been divided into 5 parts; grammar, reading comprehension, writing, literature components and model answers. All notes and exercises were pasted accordingly in the book or the self- made module.
The students did the exercises at home and how they made use of the module was left for them to decide; either individually or in a group discussion. I was actually providing them with an independent practice by adopting this strategy. The answers  given a week  after every topic was introduced also helped these students to self-monitor their performance in learning the target language. The students worked on this for weeks and stopped only a week before their examination.
The results were out two months later. When I walked into the office that morning, I was greeted loudly by one of the senior teachers, “ Congratulations Cikgu!! Your subject is among the best!” With hands shaking,  I went through the long list.  Check it out! That year nearly 70 students  scored  A for my paper!  It was far better  than the year before. Not bad for a rural school ! Not bad at all !  To add to my joy, most of them were my Mind Module students!!
So, it was a happy, sweet and bitter ending for me.  Bitter ? Yea, bitter because the principal was not at all stirred by the results ;  what more to apologise.  Bitter as it was, I forgave her anyway. It did not matter to me anymore as I had gained back what I had lost before. My Dignity.
( p.s. Thank you NST 2006 )