You might not see it now but it will become visible as you venture deeper into life..

You might not see it now but it will become visible as you venture deeper into life..

Saturday, July 21, 2012

STALKERS

"Mom, Wan wants to talk to you," Adik  called out to me. I was outside helping Abang to pluck some mangoes.
Yes mother,” I spoke into the phone as I continued to watch Abang using his parang to clear the bountiful pandan trees.
Can you ask Man to come over and fix my porch lights ? It’s giving me problems again.” My mother’ s voice sounded a little tired and upset.
Ok  Mother, Mr Fix-It-Right  will be on the way soon!”  I reassured her in the manner that always seemed to lift her mood.
We reached her house just moments later. After  fixing the porch  lights, Abang and I had a chat with my mother. After a while, we asked for an excuse to leave as earlier on, Abang had ordered pizza for dinner. We wanted to be home when the pizza boy arrived because we did not want the kids to deal with a stranger.  As we were driving home, we received a call from Adik. :
Hurry up Mom ! The pizza boy is already here!”
Alamak! That was fast! Please tell the boy we’ll be home in no time !”
When we reached home, I literally jumped out of the car and said sorry to the boy for keeping him waiting. The boy was not at all angry. Instead he smiled  and said these words which I feared most to hear wherever I go, “Hi teacher! Don’t you recognise me?”
Alamak, not again ! He was one of my former students from those years when I was still teaching in school!
The best part is, such an incident had happened to me so many times before. Let me see... Yes, almost everywhere I went I would find myself bumping into them. It seemed like they were everywhere; at the immigration office, food stalls, market, Gambang water park,  clothing stores,  Giant hypermarket, hospital and  even in public toilets !! Sabar je lah !! This is the "tragedy" of living your life as a teacher ! Ha ! Ha!  Just like you are being stalked by them all your life ! No wonder people came up with such Teacher Quotes  :
Most of us end up with no more than five or six people who remember us. Teachers have thousands of people who remember them for the rest of their lives.
(Andy Rooney)
Teachers don't impact for a year, but for a lifetime.
(Anonymous)
Guess, I just have to live with it !!